Choosing a pediatric dentist for your child is very important. Parents want to know that their child will receive the care they need if the child requires special needs. For patients that require special needs, parents must find a dentist they feel comfortable with. At Upbeat Pediatric Dentistry, we provide exceptional dental care for our pediatric patients. We welcome both autistic patients, and patients that have special needs.
Pediatric dentists attend two to three additional years of training after they complete dental school. This is so they can understand all of the unique requirements needed to treat pediatric patients. This training includes treating children with autism. Medical appointments can be a challenge for both the parent and child that is autistic, and finding the right dentist that can ensure the appointment goes well is critical.
Tips for Choosing a Pediatric Dentist
- Look for a pediatric dentist that has worked with autistic children or special needs., and ask what their procedures are. Many pediatric dentists and staff have been trained to handle children with special needs. At Upbeat Pediatric Dentistry, we work with together with the parents to ensure the patient always has a positive experience. We are sensitive to each child’s needs, and work to provide the highest level of care.
- Make sure your dentist offers a pre-visit to give you the opportunity to meet the doctor and staff prior to any appointments. This gives you the opportunity to discuss any concerns about your child’s care, and see both the office and exam room. Pre-visits can help you prepare your child, and can give the staff the ability to speak with the parent about how the appointment will go. At Upbeat Pediatric Dentistry, our staff is highly trained to work with children that have special needs, and we will discuss the details of the appointment, and work with the parents to ensure your child has a positive experience.
- Talk to your dentist and ask them how they handle sensitivity to light or sound. At Upbeat Pediatric Dentistry, we take note of a child’s sensitivity level, and we have the ability to turn down lights or sound to ensure the appointment will go smoothly.
- If needed we offer “laughing gas” or nitrous oxide, as well as conscious sedation to help our patients get through a dental procedure. These options are safe, and allow our doctors to treat patients easily if they require a complicated procedure. These methods are only used when necessary, and we take these options very seriously. Before any sedation is recommended, we look at medical history, and a medical exam is required before any sedation can be done.
- Communication is very important when you take your child to the dentist. Our staff is trained to communicate with you before, during, and after any treatment. This helps to make sure the parent and patient are comfortable, and are aware of what is required each step of the way.
- When you enter into a pediatric office, the waiting room should be full of kid friendly colors and have games or entertainment for the kids. At Upbeat Pediatric Dentistry, we have created an updated and welcoming environment for our patients where they can play a game or watch a movie while they are waiting for their appointment.
- As an incentive for a good appointment, we provide all of our patients with a small toy after their visit. This gives the child something to look forward to when they visit our office.
Looking for a Pediatric Dentist That Treats Autistic Children?
If you are looking for a pediatric or special needs Upbeat Pediatric Dentistry, our team is here to help. We strive to provide the highest level of care for all of our patients, and ensure when they visit our office, they have a positive experience. We know choosing a pediatric dentist can be hard, and during our consultation process we really try and get to know each patient, and learn about what their needs are. This helps our team understand how to customize their visit, and make their experience positive.
If you are looking to schedule a dental exam for your child, contact Upbeat Pediatric Dentistry, and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.